Accelerated Reader Links
Accelerated Reader Information
Accelerated Reader is a national program used to assist in the improvement of students’ reading abilities and their comprehension of what they read. Accelerated Reader provides students with thousands of book choices (and quizzes) to meet their individual reading needs. Statistics show that the more a child reads, the higher his/her performance is in all subject areas.
This program uses a computer-based vocabulary test called the STAR test that adjusts while the student is taking the test to her/his individual reading level. Students complete this initial testing early on in the school year. Each term students in year 7 and 8 retake this test and we monitor their progress. This test assesses a student’s ability to comprehend a text, not simply read words on the page.
If a student has a reading age of between 9 and 10, they may be invited to attend a Peer Reading programme, with a Reading Champion. The Programme takes place during morning registration, twice a week, the year 7 student and the Reading Champion, read the AR book together, with the focus on helping, extending and developing the student’s comprehension skills. The student then takes a quiz on this book when it is completed and attempts to achieve or exceed their target score.
Please note that the goal is for each student to score 85% or higher on the Reading Practice quiz. If they score lower than this they should consider choosing a book in the lower end of their range.
- Log on to www.arbookfind.com. If asked, click on who you are and then click Submit.
- Click the Advanced Search tab.
- Fill in the Interest Level, Book Level (use your individualized Range your teacher has provided), Language and any other options you prefer. Or, search for a particular book to see if it falls in your reading range. Click Go.
- You will be given a large list of book choices.
After reading the book you will take an online comprehension quiz. You will complete quizzes for at least one book a month.
- Log on AR on a school computer.
- Click Student.
- Type in your User Name and Password information and click the Log In button. (See your teacher for user name and password information.)
- Under the Accelerated Reader tab click Take a Quiz.
- Choose Take a Reading Practice Quiz.
- Type in your book information and click Search.
- Click on your book title.
- Answer the questions and take your quiz! Note: If you did not receive a score of 70% or above for a Reading Practice quiz you must read another book and take another quiz. You may, however, choose a book from the lower end of your range.
Home Connect for Parents
Home Connect is a fun, easy-to-use web-based interface that allows parents to view their child’s progress in Accelerated Reader. Once you’ve signed on you can click Email Setup to sign up and receive emails showing your student’s quiz or test results.
- Log on to https://hosted149.renlearn.com/1978921/HomeConnect/Login.aspx.
- Type in your child’s User Name and Password. (See your teacher or child for user name and password information.)
If you have questions about Accelerated Reader, reading programmes or Literacy please contact Mrs Bell at the school.[/three_fourth]